Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Things I Like About FDA Informatics



Sometimes me conscience gets to me. And lately I feel like I've been bashing the FDA data releases too much.

So today, I reverse course and list 2 IT-related thingies pushed out by the FDA that I like (sort of).

I'll go back to bashing the FDA later this week.

Thing # 1. The Peanut Product Recall Widget. This is a small Flash box (widget) that anyone can place onto a web-site. You just place a small snippet of code in your HTML and you get access to what looks like *all* FDA-related product recalls (not just the peanuts).

Why then, do they call it the Peanut Product Recall Widget? I have no idea, but bad branding isn't a felony.

The styling of the widget lies somewhere between "design by Stevie Wonder" and "absolutely horrendous", but as mentioned above--not...a...felony.


Thing #2. the MedWatch widget. Same principle applies as with the Product Recall Widget. Small bit of code and you get 4 links to MedWatch information. The utility of this widget is a tad suspect, as all it does is provide a collection of 4 hyperlinks. The Product Recall Widget has a search function, thereby vaulting it to a higher echelon in the pantheon of widgets.

But there you have it. 2 examples of the FDA reaching out on the informatics front and doing a good job.

No comments: